/// Blog /// AKA ALBUM /// Releases /// Remixxes /// DJ Mixxes /// Flyers /// Videos /// About ///

Saturday 16 January 2010

Daniel Wang @ IT'S MUSIC, Cork

Was this co-incidence? Or something more?



After deciding to stay one last weekend in Ireland before heading back to Glasgow, I had taken my mum to lunch on Saturday afternoon when I got this text message from my friend Daniel Wang. "I'm in Dublin I know it's not Scotland but I'm on Connolly St saw 2 guys who look just like you. How's Glasgow? Eire feels tropical! DJ Cork later."

Danny hadn't met me in Ireland before, and he certainly didn't know I am here now and only an hour away from Cork. Naturally I wanted to be there - I hopped on a bus within the hour, and was able to meet him off the train from Dublin.

After soundchecking at the venue, we talked and caught up for hours, including a very nice Italian meal that being cheap we shared. The talk went from music to memes to love lives to friends and naturally back to music again. I hadn't seen Danny in about 2 years, so there was a lot to catch up on. He was still waiting for the Trippy Disco album to drop, so I had to fill him in about the end of that project, and the end of so much more that has happened since 2007. He told me about his father's passing, which was kind of sad, but how it allowed him to put down real roots in Berlin and how he's happier than ever there now. I told him about the Niallist and how I am channeling all my musical energies into that - he was one of the first people to hear (IILWTSFT) Pet Shop Boys and it is actually inspired by a story he told me. He told me how he is now beginning to sing songs he has written and is moving away from instrumental disco into telling stories about past loves. It was great!

After meeting up with my Aunt Mary to get a key to her house - it was great to see her too - I made my way back to BrĂș to see the Wangster spin disco. I was pretty shattered and thought I would leave round 1, but of course it was so good that I had to stay til the very end - 3.30am. I haven't been out dancing to disco in at least a month, so it was great to hear some, and the crowd thought so too - they really loved it. Though Danny couldn't really see because the pub was a wierd shape, people were dancing all the way along the bar, even into the back, on top of the pool table. I'm so glad the people loved his music, it made me feel proud to attend his first show in Cork! The crowd in Cork really love their disco, soul and funk and know how to party. As I told Danny, the south cost of Ireland is a real hidden gem of Europe.

I had to go crash after the music, and Danny was flying out at 6am, so I didn't hang around long. The guys who run the party IT'S MUSIC (Brian being the ringmaster) are really sound and it's great to have met a new generation of heads in Cork city. I've always loved it there, it's somewhere I would definitely consider living when I am a bit older. And I found out that CHIC will be playing Cork in May. That will be special - I shall do my best to be there.

Good Times!

No comments:

Post a Comment