/// Blog /// AKA ALBUM /// Releases /// Remixxes /// DJ Mixxes /// Flyers /// Videos /// About ///

Wednesday 14 March 2012

'Purple Naked Ladies' review on Soundblab

I was blown away by 'Purple Naked Ladies', the debut album by The Internet (part of the OFWGKTA fam and featuring Syd Tha Kid, the openly gay female dj for Tyler The Creator). So much so that I wrote this review for Soundblab mag, mentioneing Stereolab, Martine Topley-Byrd, Organized Noize, Erykah Badu and more:

Don't you just hate it when your opinions are proved wrong? I mean you thought about them for like, an hour. Or maybe even less, say ten seconds. Even if you just read that shit somewhere else and thought "that'll do", it doesn't matter because those opinions are YOURS and define who YOU ARE and having them contradicted can be painful and confusing.

Well, I'll let you in on a little secret: I love that shit. I love feeling that confusion of "NOW what am I supposed to think?" Because you know what, when things are uncertain, unsure, when you feel like your mind is free-falling at great speed - that's when you feel most alive.

Being brutally honest: I had no great burning desire to hear The Internet, I just went into the Soundblab back room to grab a certain release for review and noticed that this album hadn't been claimed yet. The album I wanted as already gone (seconds after we were told it had come in!) so I grabbed PNL as it was just there and I thought "I can do a quick enough hack job on this, get some anti-OFWGKTA angst off my chest".

Holy shit.


Yep I gave the album a 9/10. I wasn't expecting to like this record, my reasons having a lot to do with my preconceptions of Tyler and OFWGKTA, and the process of mentalyl unpacking those presumptions is a big part of the review. Here's the video for band's "She DGAF":

No comments:

Post a Comment