/// Blog /// AKA ALBUM /// Releases /// Remixxes /// DJ Mixxes /// Flyers /// Videos /// About ///

Wednesday 2 September 2009

DISSIDENT R.I.P.

I got an email from Andy Blake this week, the head of Dissident Distribution label (who have released two 12" by me this year), stating that he has decided to shut it down. Apart from the worrying fact that every label that I put out a record with goes bust, I think it's a bold and great move, and in fitting with the ethos of the label. Dissident release on vinyl only (barring 3 compilation CDs) in limited edition runs of 150-200, and each 12" is one sided. Those 12" then sell for 8-9 pounds, and in the past two and a bit years they have released about 60 singles. Dissident refuse to have a myspace/facebook/online presence, and so have maintained a tight air of mystery. This is both good and bad - for someone like me who is trying to build a bigger profile it is frustrating, but I am hoping that it will pay off in the long term, possibly by moving on to a bigger label. If you want to find out more about Dissident, read this piece on Resident Advisor, and if you wanna see all the singles released by them, check out their Discogs page.

No comments:

Post a Comment